Monday, July 25, 2022

Paul Gauguin

For a lo-o-n-n-g-g time, I've loved things Polynesian. But now I've going to commit an act of sacrilege. Maybe even heresy! 😮

Paul Gauguin was an artist who lived and painted in Tahiti. He focused on the vahines there more than, say, landscapes. Fine. Except -- I never got into the style he preferred. In short, I'm not a Paul Gauguin fan!!

I think he had the skills to work in a more academic way, although I could be wrong. A detail below from one of his paintings, Two Tahitian Women (1899) is actually kind of nice, and it appears he was capable of rendering faces.

The painting as a whole, however, just doesn't work for me. The classical realism approach doesn't call as much attention to itself as the subject and workings do, and if handled right, can elicit powerful emotional responses. That's where MY interests lie.

Two Tahitian Women       Paul Gauguin,1899-detail

Two Tahitian Women         Paul Gauguin

Images like the one below speak to me much more powerfully:

A Girl Defending Herself Against Eros
William Adolphe Bouguereau,1880

Mark Junge
www.MarkJunge or www.SouthwestSpaces.com


 

No comments: