Saturday, September 19, 2009

Borrego Palms


It almost feels funny doing a painting in a vertical format. But sometimes ya just gotta do it!

This is a group of fan palms alongside a creek that is normally dry. The scene is in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, CA in the afternoon. "Borrego palms" is the title of the painting, not necessarily the name of the palm group. It just sounded good and helps identify where these palms are.

I can imagine the native borregos (bighorn sheep) enjoy coming to the stream further uphill, away from human view, and getting lots of water while they can.

By summer, of course, the stream will be dry, waiting for the next rainstorm to restart the downward course of water. But on this day, I was able to enjoy the trickle of water and the rustle of palm fronds in the breeze. I'm sure the local critters did, too.

By the way, I've been posting small (8" x 10" / 20cm x 25cm) paintings that I've included in my "art on a budget" Website page. I believe any of those pieces would look great in your home or office!

No comments: