Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Painting of Another Favorite Mountain Range


In my previous post, I showed a recent painting of one of my favorite mountain ranges: the Sneffels Range in Colorado. (I wish I would have spent a LOT more time in that area while we actually lived in Colorado!)

The piece I've shown now is the Sonoyta Range which is in Mexico. I'm actually in the USA, viewing this scene from within Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in southern Arizona.

Besides the rugged appearance, the range features a peak (Punto Sonoyta -- Sonoyta Peak) in the middle and then drops away on either side of that peak. This makes it easy to make the Sonoyta Peak a center of interest, which I normally do whenever I paint these mountains. All of the other elements -- cactus, flowers, shadows -- function to set off the distant symbol of a rugged place.

No comments: