Sunday, August 28, 2016

Redwoods, Redwoods...LOTS of Redwoods


I've been working on a painting of coastal redwoods, found along the coast of northern California. Well, I'm sort of working on it...lots of distractions and chores to do lately.

The scene I'm working on is a composite -- typical of the redwoods, but there's no one place (that I'm aware of) that will look just like it. I wanted something less literal...more mystical, something worthy of a place I think of as God's own cathedral.

 So far, I have several sources of inspiration, including some photos I took of Lady Bird Johnson Grove in Redwood National Park in 1982. One of the neat things about LBJ Grove is: it must be at the top of a hill, close to where the hill drops off. Instead of the typical dark wall of dense redwood forest, the sky is light even in pea-soup fog. I like both kinds of looks, but the bluish sky is awesome, in my opinion. (The following are scanned from 35mm slides).

Redwood National Park,Lady Bird Johnson Grove,redwoods,forest,fog,blue,ferns

Redwood National Park,Lady Bird Johnson Grove,redwoods,forest,fog,blue,ferns,iris,irisesRedwood National Park,Lady Bird Johnson Grove,redwoods,forest,fog,blue,ferns,stump


Redwood National Park,Lady Bird Johnson Grove,redwoods,forest,fog,blue,ferns,sun beams,shafts of lightRedwood National Park,Lady Bird Johnson Grove,redwoods,forest,fog,blue,ferns,sun beams,shafts of light

LBJ Grove is such an amazing place, especially when a light fog drifts in. Then the air itself luminesces, making the visitor feel like s/he turned a corner and stepped into heaven. Photos don't capture it.

Actually, the painting I'm doing now won't quite capture it, either. I'm after a different, moody, womb-like effect. I hope I can find the time and energy to finish it soon!
 

 

No comments: