Sunday, September 20, 2015

Badlands


Badlands is my newest painting!

Carrizo Badlands,Anza-Borrego,California,CA,Desert State Park,ocotillo,cloud shadows,sundown,sunset,late afternoon,barren,desert
Badlands              18" x 24" / 46cm x 61cm
This piece show the Carrizo Badlands overlook of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, CA. This is one of my favorite sites in the park, with the rugged hills, lots of ocotillo (those stick-like things with the red flowers at the tips) and lots of space to mediate on.

I don't do paintings of badlands formations very often. Frankly, badlands have a LOT of stuff to paint, and sometimes I'm just not patient enough, although I know I have to be to get the look I want.


I think I like the way this one turned out!


Your educational info:
  • "Anza" refers to Spanish explorer Juan Bautista de Anza, 1774;
  • "Borrego" is Spanish for "sheep," especially a youngun;
  • "Carrizo" is apparently the Spanish vernacular name of plants found in a carrizal, an area of reeds;
  • "Ocotillo" (oh-koh-TEE-yo) = “little torch” in Spanish.

No comments: