Monday, July 28, 2008

Jurassic Mark


Jurassic Mark is a name I came up with for myself soon after the movie, "Jurassic Park" came out. I've always sort of liked dinosaurs anyway, and the movie, especially the first of the three, is one of my favorites. (I love the roar of the T. rex in the first "JP"!) So I couldn't resist doing a takeoff of the title, besides the fact that sometimes I feel like I'm 150 million years old!

The movie does have it's scientific issues; i.e., they as much as doubled the dinos' sizes --velociraptors were about 3 feet/1 meter tall, NOT 7 feet/2 meters high as they are in the flicks. Also, if dinosaurs were so closely related to birds, they would have used bird DNA, not frog DNA, to fill in the missing dino DNA sequences.

But Steven Spielberg did a fantastic job of bringing dinosaurs to life on the screen in a way I hadn't seen before.

I have considered painting a few dinosaur images (well, they'd be landscapes with dinos in them), the way I paint modern-day wildlife into my landscapes. But I'd really have to become much more familiar with dino anatomy than I am now. In any case, that's a "someday" project.

Oh--the photo. That's a little plush dino my wife bought for me as we were on our way to see "Jurassic Park II: The Lost World." Cute, huh?

No comments: