Monday, July 14, 2008

Dreams of Tuscany


Images of Tuscany are somewhat of the popular thing these days, at least in this area. Many new homes are designed with a Tuscan/Mediterranean look, and people like to put Tuscan-themed artwork in these homes.

One of my galleries asked me to paint some landscapes that have a Tuscany feel, but I have to confess: I've never been to Italy, so I have to depend on others' photos to see what the place looks like (although I don't copy other artists' photos). Tuscany seems to look like a combination of southern California and the Napa Valley vineyards.

Still, I've never been content to do what all the other Tuscany artists do. So I try to make some changes in the "look." Whether that helps or hurts as far as sales go, I'm not sure. But I don't make that many Tuscany paintings, since I consider the desert to be my forte anyway.

The inserted painting is an impression of Tuscany with the borrowed distinctive classical look of Claude Lorrain, a favorite 17th century French artist. Luv da guy!! (I think that's French for "I love this artist"!)

No comments: